Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Subway Showdown

I witnessed my first Subway Scuffle today. I was running to my 6 PM info session downtown and had to take the local 1 train (look at me, slowly learning the fancy city lingo). That's a whole different story.

Anyway, it was the beginning of rush hour and when the train pulled up, it was kinda crowded. I push my way on with my ninja turtle shell backpack. I stop because a man with a cane is trying to get past everyone to sit down in an open seat. Everyone was making an effort to let this guy past. Except the woman behind me. She pushes me REALLY hard into the metal pole and says, "Can you move in? People are trying to get on the train." I tell her to slow her roll, we're all trying to let this old man by. She keeps pushing.


I get angry and really passive aggressively refuse to budge, even when space opens up. And as the train starts up/stops and everyone sways, I make sure to sway back and use my turtle-shell backpack to squish her against the door. She finally moves over and gives me a dirty look.

Two seconds later, she starts yelling, "Get off my back, sir. GET OFF MY BACK."

The next stop, she is starting to move and keeps saying, "Get off my back!" This guy behind her says, really sarcastically, "Maybe you should ride in a private car. Is y
ours in the shop?" And she goes, "Maybe you should shut up and get off my back."

Man: It's rush hour in New York City. What do you expect?
Woman: I expect you to GET OFF MY BACK.
Man: There's nowhere else to go. If you have a problem, you should take a cab.
Woman: My problem is you need to GET OFF MY BACK.

I couldn't get my phone free to take a picture, so I illustrated the showdown. It's pretty accurate. I should be an artist. Also note there are absolutely no distinguishing features. This way, no one can mistake my poor drawing skills as racist caricatures.

No comments: