Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Life Lessons

After Reading Terminal Market, I kept walking down the street. There are maps on most of the signposts that tell you where you are and in what direction major landmarks are. For example, a number of intersections I came to offered me two choices: left to Chinatown or straight to the Visitor's Center. Though I would have loved to visit the town of my people, the seductive promise of air conditioning triumphed.

This is a picture of the maps they have up... along with a lovel
y PSA. For those who can't make out what the flyer is, there's a picture of a doctor with a surgical mask on top and a picture of dope dealers on the bottom. The text says, "Doctors Warning - All dope from Mexico is poison. All dope must be a refrigerator or dope turns to deadly poison. Please send letters to the President of Mexico."

Life Lesson Learned #1.



Further down the street, I saw this sign in the window of a bus stop.

That rat-mouse needs me to know how to save a life. There are no directions as to how he wants me to save a life, or what specifically he wants me to know how to do, but that's ok because it is a cute cartoon a la Smokey the Bear (lot of good that ad campaign did - remember that kid that was playing with matches and burned down half of California a few months back?)

The saddest part of this ad is the rat-mouse's name is "Perry Medic." It took me until now to get that "Perry Medic" is "paramedic." Before, I was just like, "That makes no sense. How is that similar to doctor or saving a life or anything medical related at all? Stupid Philly." Life Lesson Learned #2.

No comments: