Saturday, July 26, 2008

All I do is eat

It's sad, but completely true. Big's friend from Miami, who is also going to the same New York school as she is (but for business instead of medicine), met us for lunch. We went to Manhattan Diner, which is the place with the utterly melt-in-your-mouth, incredibly light and rich and creamy cheesecake. Clearly, we know what was on my mind.

He got one of the day's specials, a roast beef sandwich.

Big got two eggs over easy and the whole wheat waffle with bananas and strawberries. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture of the waffle before it was stripped of it's delicious accompaniments.


It wasn't as light as the pumpkin waffle from Sarabeth's, probably because of the whole wheat batter. The pumpkin waffle had it's own flavor and was so distinct, it didn't need anything else. The whole wheat waffle was everything a waffle should be, but a little heavier. It soaked up the syrup and butter without transitioning to the gross soggy stage. It was almost like eating a delicious piece of cake (or the texture of it, at least).

I ordered the Athenian omelette (only because I couldn't make up my mind and panicked at the last possible second). It was an outstanding choice. Eggs with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, and feta. It came with a side of potatoes and toast. The potatoes were basically hash browns, and delicious. Shredded potato fried on a flat griddle (I am assuming that's what it's called). The outside was crispy and brown, but my fork broke through it to fluffy potatoes beneath. I like my potatoes a little more done (aka burnt), but it wasn't bad.

The omelette was fluffy with tons of veggies. Every bite had a mixture of veggies. I couldn't really taste or see the feta, which is hard considering feta is such a strong flavor. It wasn't as outstanding as the omelettes I get at the Blue Moon.

When we left, I got a piece of cheesecake to go.

Hours later, as I stood in the dark in Big's kitchen, shoveling cheesecake into my mouth and trying to will myself to put it back in the fridge, I realized that New York may not be the best place for me to take my shrinking bank account and my RAPIDLY expanding waistline.

No comments: