Sunday, August 10, 2008

Perry's Deli

B, having read this blog, wanted to take me someplace that seemed to match the theme: food.

She worked a few blocks away from this place called Perry's Deli, rumored and advertised to have sandwiches as big as your head. Yes, I was told, even as big as my giant melon. I was warned ahead of time that there is absolutely NO cell phone use. Not just when you're ordering, but none in the deli at all.

B had suggested and strongly recommended the corned beef with Russian dressin
g on rye. I got that, with some provolone, lettuce and tomato. I have never seen a sandwich that size.

The reason why there seems to be a thousand pickles on my plate is when I tried to look around to see if I could use my cell phone camera, B dumped all hers onto my plate. Please also note that this is a picture of HALF. I saw the size of the sandwich and panicked and B said to just ask for the other half to go. Apparently it's fairly common for people not to finish. It was sandwich was cold and really really good. The only downside was that it's so big, it just falls apart. The corned beef isn't melt in your mouth, but it's tender and extremely flavorful. Evan got the double decker monstrosity with brisket.
Notice his sandwich falling apart. The giant thing still on the plate is HALF. Here are a couple more pictures to detail the size of these "sandwiches."

We got there at the perfect time. As soon as we sat down, the deli started to fill. The line stretched out the door. We were sitting next to all these business guys with their ties thrown over a shoulder or tucked into their shirts. I am pretty sure being able to finish your entire sandwich is a statement to your manhood. The guys at the table next to us kept watching each other's sandwiches, trying to match bite for bite. B and I were also one of 4 ladies in the entire establishment. One of the other ladies was working the register, and the 4th was sitting off in the corner booth with a guy. I am pretty sure they were breaking up.

What does that say about a relationship to break up in a deli during lunchtime, over a giant corned beef sandwich? "Hey, how about you stop talking now so I can finish my sandwich?" I at least hope she was dumping him. Then he could re-establish his manhood by finishing his sandwich and the menfolks would all admire and want to be him.

I thought about taking more pictures and had my cell phone in my hand when this HORRIBLE alarm went off. It was a fire alarm, a police siren, and a dying cat all combined and projected from speakers. Everyone stopped eating and looked around. I shoved my phone back into "Soul Rebel." Thankfully, it was because some guy in line was texting. His friend called him out.

Hahaha, I bet they are BFF.

No comments: