Sunday, August 3, 2008

Double Deckers... mmm... sandwich.

At around 7 in the morning on Monday, Voorhees dropped me off at the train station on the way to work. She said I'd be fine, just follow the crowds and I'd end up in New York City, there was no way to mess this up. It was easy getting from her part of Jersey to Newark Penn Station. That's when it got complicated.

I saw a giant crowd flood out of the train and head down the stai
rs and onto another platform. Of course I followed them. After standing there for 10-15 minutes, I looked up at the monitor explaining what trains where heading where at what platform. The train I was supposed to take into NYC was not on the screen. Probably because it had already left. From another platform. A train pulled up and I asked a man next to me if it was headed into New York. He stared at me and I was about to repeat the question when he said, "No... it's going to Hoboken. But there are a lot of trains going to New York."

Fabulous. So after that, I stood and waited on the platform until I saw OBVIOUS tourists and followed them to the right train. How did I know they were tourists? Th
e sneakers with the high socks, the American flag t-shirt, the fanny-pack. Perfect. They led me straight to Penn Station.

I had an hour to kill before the bus left, so I went to Borders and browsed around. Half an hour later, I headed back to the bus stop and this is the Hell I saw:

I asked the two people in front of me if this was the Megabus to DC. They were both Asian and the woman nodded and said really loudly, in a slow voice, "Yes, we're in line." Thank you. I don't really care that you're in line. I can see that. Also, maybe if you speak louder and slower, I'll pay more attention to what you're saying and less attention to how stupid you sound. After like 5 minutes, the Asian man in front of me turns and holds up a banana peel. "I'm just going to go throw this away, ok? I'll be back. Throwing this away in the trash can. Over there." Ridic.

As soon as he gets back, the Megabus guy looks over at us and yells out, "Yo, where y'all going?" The guy behind me yells back DC, and the Megabus guy hollers that we're in the wrong line. At this point, I don't even care anymore and use my bags to knock the two Asians out of my way.

I still don't understand how everyone is going to fit on the bus until this monstrosity pulls up in front of us.
Yes, that is in fact a giant double decker bus. Huge. I got on and went upstairs. While I was waiting and staring out the window, I saw one of the sketchiest things I've seen in NY.



The first picture is of a man talking to a cop with a drug sniffing dog. The dog all of a sudden went insane and lunged at the man. It was snapping it's teeth and pulling on its leash. The cop kept having to restrain the dog, pulling it back, pushing it down to the ground and basically disciplining it. The dog would absolutely not stop. It was barking and pulling and generally going nuts and drawing attention to the man. Finally, the man kind of backed away and took off running (as you can see in the second picture). And then the dog was fine and just stood there like nothing was wrong.

Total sketch.

No comments: